10 Questions for a Divorce Lawyer
We provide some questions you might want to ask during your first conversation with a family law attorney. These can help you decide if this attorney is right for your case.
1. Are you good at divorce or is divorce just a part of your practice? How long have you been working in family law? How many family law cases have you handled? Are you a "Certified Specialist Lawyer for Family Law"?
2. What is your strategy for my case? How long will it take for my case to be resolved?
3. How long will it take before I call you back? How can I contact you in an emergency? What do you consider an emergency?
4. Will someone else in your office handle my case? What are your experiences? can i meet her
5. How do you charge me? What is your hourly rate? Do you charge for time I spend with other attorneys, paralegals and/or secretaries? If so, at what speed? What is the retainer in front of you?
6. What costs (other than your own) do you anticipate (e.g. private investigator, forensic accountant, doctor and/or psychologist) and how will you charge me?
7. How do you estimate the total cost of this divorce? (Don't worry that most divorce attorneys will refuse to answer this question since the cost of a divorce will depend largely on the level of conflict in your case. However, the way a lawyer answers this question can help you help determine their size.Honest Attorney Will often replies that it's difficult to estimate fees in advance.The attorney who gives you an unrealistically low amount may just want to do business for you).
8. Do you allow me to deal directly with my spouse? How can divorce costs be reduced? Are there tasks I can do myself to reduce the fee you charge me?
9. Given what you know about my case, how would you predict the judge will rule on it?
10. What can you do to help me understand the tax implications of my decisions?